When your child begins to struggle in school, is your first thought to seek out tutoring support? If so, you are not alone. Tutoring is often the first service that pops into parents’ minds when their child is having difficulty. However, tutoring alone cannot solve learning problems. Take reading, for example. Contrary to what is believed, reading is not “taught” in school. In fact, the whole language approach to teaching reading has been in practice for the past 25-30 years. The basic premise is that if you are exposed to the written word, you will be able to make the association to similar looking words. This seems to work for 70% of the population. However, the other 30% require a phonemic approach to reading that is not provided.

If your child only needs extra instruction or practice, then tutoring can certainly help. If your child has an underlying learning difficulty, then tutoring will most likely not solve the problem. If your child has undergone tutoring for several years and no improvements are seen or he/she is still struggling, then it is time to discover their underlying difficulty. Once you have that information, then the learning challenge can be remediated. At Strategic Learning Centre, our brain training and remedial programs have been proven to address your child’s specific needs. If your child continuously struggles in school, then it may be time to search beyond tutoring for a solution. Keep looking until you find a centre that truly understands your situation. Your child’s future depends on it.